Sunday, July 11, 2010

Park City


Spencer's aunt and uncle, Mary and Bruce, invited us to go to Park City with them last weekend. There's always a party going on with their family and we don't get to see them all too often so we took them up on it. We went up Friday night and stayed the night there and then went on a few adventures the next day at Olympic Park. :)

It started out with a short little show from the skiers that were practicing. Since there is no snow in the summer, they have a few slopes that they can run down and land in the water for a softer landing. It's pretty amazing to see the things that they do knowing that they are going to land pretty hard in that water. I guess if I was more of a water person, I wouldn't think it was so crazy!





Next stop... the ski lift.

We made our way up the lift to get to the very top! It was a beautiful day and we took advantage of it and took a few pics.



And by the very top I mean up by those itty bitty flags at the top of this hill...





Well we did ride the lift for a reason. The X-treme Zip-line baby! It went all the way from the top of the hill back down to the bottom. I love zip-lines! It was the first one that we had been on since our honeymoon and it sure didn't disappoint.



Quicksilver Alpine Slide


Here's most of the group all lined up in a row...


Spencer and I took a little trip to the outlets while the rest of the group stayed to watch a show and we got back just in time to take a picture in the bobsled......


..... But really, we were planning for the real bobsled ride in the next few minutes!!!! Here's Spencer and his cousin Mike getting ready to push the bobsled down the track for the riders in front of us.


Let me just explain. It was THE CRAZIEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!! In the summer time, they use the real Olympic track for the bobsled and visitors can take a ride down the track on a "Summer Bobsled." They add wheels, roll bars, seat belts and extra padding to the summer bobsleds for safety and boy I am so glad that they do. From what I have heard, Park City is the only place, at least in the states, where you can ride the entire track. They have the same kind of thing in Lake Placid, but they only run the bottom half of the track.

I LOVE roller coasters, but this far surpasses anything like that. I honestly can't believe that there are professionals that choose to do this everyday. I have no idea how the driver can see anything because you are going so fast that everything is blurry. I guess they have had a lot of practice. There are no words to explain the speed and force that you are feeling on these things. All I can say is...

-4 G's
-Bruises
-Back Pain
-Soreness everywhere
-but FUN!

It was an awesome experience and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to do it! But I don't think that I would ever do that again. One time is enough for me. ;) Here are the boys pushing the bobsled down the track for a running start.



We had a blast in Park City and made it back just in time for Stadium of Fire (which I forgot to take my camera for). We had such a fun filled fourth of July weekend! Thank you Mary and Bruce!!!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I can't believe you went on that bobsled ride! You are a crazy woman but I love you! Just goes to show that the people that do that sport competitively are really crazy!

Cardon Family said...

We have to do that! There is so much to do up there!