Thursday, January 20, 2011

Update

Thank you for your continued prayers in behalf of Sara, Doug and their family. My sister Erin wrote exactly what I am feeling, so I thought it would be best to share her words:


My heart aches.
My heart hurts.
My heart is crying
for my sister Sara and brother-in-law Doug.
Their lives changed forever yesterday.

Sara had finished feeding Luke and put him down for a nap.
She left to check on her other three boys and get them a snack.
She came back to check on Luke about 20 minutes later.

Luke had stopped breathing.
His little body was limp and his lips were blue.
Can you imagine the horror? the panic?

She started CPR.
Called 911.
Called Doug.
All while her three other little boys were watching.

Luke was rushed to the hospital by ambulance with Sara and Doug following behind.
They were able to revive him.
Thank goodness.

Luke was life flighted to Phoenix Children's Hospital shortly after.
He was breathing on his own.
He was stable but critical.
The doctor was hopeful.
We all were.

Things did not improve overnight.
He started having seizures.
Another CAT scan was ordered this morning.
The diagnosis: complete brain damage, inside and out.
His body had been without oxygen for too long.
By mid-afternoon, the machines were keeping him alive.
Doug called all the family who could come to say goodbye.

We all went to support, to love, to help in anyway we could.
Doug's mom flew in from Colorado.
Mom flew in from Oregon.
We all watched this nightmarish scene play out.
How could this be?
From one minute to the next? Your life change so drastically?

We had a family prayer.
We said our goodbyes to Luke.
Doug and Sara had time alone with him.

Luke James Cardon
passed away peacefully at 5:35 pm on January 19, 2011.
He has gone home to his Heavenly Father.
Sara and Doug feel so blessed to have had him in their family for even a short time.

October 31, 2010 - January 19, 2011

Please tell me how you live through losing a child?
It is going to take every ounce of faith, courage, and strength
to get through every day.

I've cried hundreds of tears today.
But that's nothing compared to the millions of tears that Sara will shed
and the thousands that she has shed already.

Oh how my heart aches for her!
Every time I hold Lyla, my heart aches and cries for her empty arms.
I love you Sara and Doug.
We will miss Luke but we are so glad that
Families are Eternal.

We will see him again.
Sara, you will get to hold him again.
If nothing else, hold on to that.
Let that pull you through each day.
Heavenly Father has a plan.
He knows all things.
He has infinite wisdom.
Christ knows our heartache, our pain, our suffering.
Lean on him.
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

4 comments:

Brynn Snyder said...

please let us know if there is anything we can do. p.s. did you find out what your having?

Lindsay Rosas said...

im so sorry....your family is in our prayers.

Ashley said...

kelsey, I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. I'll be keeping your family in my prayers.

Michelle said...

Kelsey,
I Lost my brother over the summer and it was one of the hardest things that I went through and continue to go through. Their spirits are always around us and they are watching over us always. They love us so much and want to be with. Just always remember Families are Forever.